Your vegan comfort food for the cold season!
Jump to Recipe
Creamy and comforting vegetable dal – There is really nothing more satisfying than a well-filled tummy with only the most nurturing ingredients to get you through fall and winter.
Before I dive into this recipe, let me answer this question: What exactly is Dal? Dal in India means pulses, which are used and/or cooked in various soups and stews. These pulses can be lentils, chickpeas or beans of all kinds. The dal has a mushy-soupy consistency and is additionally filled with potatoes, various vegetables and also seasoned with all the great oriental spices, of course. The longer a dal is cooked the creamier it gets and the flavors come out even better. What I recommend is to put it in the fridge overnight or prepare it in the morning when you like to have it for dinner, because the longer it rests the better the flavors unfold.
Back to this recipe:
- it is a super easy one-pot dish
- which is vegan and healthy too
- filled with lentils, potatoes and sweet potatoes
- includes many different vegetables and also raisins (I love the sweet taste that they add)
- seasoned with cumin, garlic, ginger, and garam masala
If you feel fatigued and cold this veggie dal can really help boost your body with more energy. The spices revive your spirit and the warming soup makes you feel comfortable immediately. I really love to make this dal during the colder months, because it is so easy to prepare and I also take it with me for work or store it in the freezer for some other time.
If you tried this Vegetable Dal or any other recipe on the blog, please let us know how you liked it and leave a comment or rating below! We also love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. We love to meet you!
Don’t forget to check out our soup and stews for more deliciousness!
One-Pot Vegetable Dal
- 400 g yellow lentils, dried you can use any kind of lentils
- 4 tsp vegetable stock
- 1 l water
- 300 g onions
- 250 g sweet potato
- 300 g potato
- 250 g zucchini
- 200 g tomatoes
- 1 hand full raisins
- 400 ml coconut milk or soy/oat cream (cuisine)
- 4 tbsp parsley fresh, dried or frozen; chopped
- 2 tsp cumin ground
- 2 tsp garlic dried and ground (you can also use fresh one)
- 2 tsp ginger dried and ground (you can also use fresh one)
- 2 tsp curry powder or garam masala
- 1 tsp paprika ground
- salt and pepper season to taste
- Rinse the lentils through a sieve
- Put water, lentils and vegetable stock in a pot and bring it to a boil. Let it cook for a while
- In the meantime cut and peel the following vegetables: onions, sweet potatoes, potatoes. Also cut zucchini and tomatoes
- Add all of the vegetables to the lentils and let them cook until done. Don't forget to stir every here and then
- Add raisins and spices listed above
- Pour coconut milk into the pot and stir
- Add parsley
- Let the dal cook for a littl while (about 20 minutes) on a low heat