Amazing condimental vegan spread for your supper or lunch!
I don’t know if you have heard of this kind of spread before but it is a really tasty companion for your buns or bread slices. Liptauer is an Austrian and Slovakian spread which is originally made from a special kind of curd cheese called “Brimsen” (a soft cheese made from sheep’s milk). Liptauer is found in almost every fridge in Austrian households as it goes with anything from crackers to bread or vegetable sticks.
This recipe is vegan, oil-free & healthy too
I used a vegan soy curd for this Liptauer version as well as white beans for the texture. Of course, the soy curd is not as firm as the original cheese used for this Liptauer spread but it works wonderfully as well. This recipe is healthier because of the soy curd and the white beans which build the foundation of the recipe. I also put some vegetables in this vegan spread which makes it taste fresh and light.
These ingredients are for the typical Liptauer taste
Really important ingredients are the pickled cucumbers as well as some fresh pepper. They add a fresh and also sour taste to the vegan Liptauer spread. Also really, really important are the condiments such as paprika, caraway, and mustard. In my opinion, the vegan Liptauer spread has this unmistakable taste which makes every slice of bread a fantastic meal or snack. You should really give it a try and let me know what you think!
I always start by chopping the vegetables into small pieces, then I prepare the base of the spread. This step includes mixing the soy curd, beans and all the condiments together in one bowl. Then I purée them together. You can then add the chopped vegetables and stir them into your base spread or you can purée the spread again and have a smooth texture. I personally prefer a smoother texture.
A little info about the white beans
As I don’t cook very often with white beans, I had to do a little research about them so we can get to know them a little better and also what amazing impacts they have on our bodies.
- white beans are actually considered as a superfood (like all beans)
- they are packed with folate, vitamin B1 (thiamin), potassium, magnesium, and iron
- a healthy substitute for potatoes
- high in protein and fiber
- find out more info about those little stars
Vegan Liptauer Spread
- 200 g soy curd
- 140 g white beans cooked and drained
- 1 tsp mustard common mustard not too spicy
- 4 tsp paprika (spice)
- 1 tsp caraway ground
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- salt season to taste
- 50 g onions
- 50 g red bell pepper
- 50 g pickled cucumber
- Put soy curd, white beans, mustard, paprika, caraway, salt and nutritional yeast in one bowl and purée them together
- Now chop onions, pepper and pickled cucumber into small pieces and mix them into the spread base
- You can either leave the spread that way or you can purée the spread once again to have a smoother texture
If you tried this Vegan Liptauer Spread or any other recipe on the blog, please let us know how you liked it and leave a comment or rating below! We also love to connect with you on Instagram or Pinterest. We love to meet you!
Don’t forget to check out our main dishes for more deliciousness!