Enjoy this warming and healthy dish!
This vegan goulash recipe is my favorite recipe for the cold season! It’s filled with all the comforting and filling ingredients like potatoes, sweet potatoes
Goulash – the Hungarian dish
Goulash is a traditional stew that originally consists of meat but I see no problem in replacing it with lentils. The word goulash actually describes the meat that is used but when we say goulash we mean the stew. So in Hungary, they call it a goulash soup. Also, there are certain steps you need to follow in order to make the perfect goulash at home. It starts with onions that you need to sauté, then
The spices matter!
Caraway is the most important spice for this meal. It really adds this special taste to the goulash. Another must-have herb is marjoram, it blends in perfectly. These two together with salt are all you need for this stew to taste so fabulous.
Easy and one-pot dish
This vegan goulash recipe is so easy to make and a one-pot dish too. The secret to this perfect taste is to cook the goulash really long and make sure that the potatoes are done. It’s best to prepare it in the morning, let it cook long enough and then let it rest to enjoy it for dinner. A goulash always tastes better if you let it rest for a few hours because the flavors are able set properly.
- 200 g onions
- 50 ml olive oil
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 100 ml vinegar
- 700 ml water
- 400 g potatoes
- 300 g sweet potatoes
- 500 g lentils cooked and drained
- 200 g tomatoes
- 4 tbsp marjoram fresh or dried, ground
- 2 tbsp caraway whole or ground
- salt and pepper season to taste
- Peel the potatoes and cut them and the tomatoes into pieces
- Chop the onions into little pieces
- Pour oil in a heated pot and sauté the onions
- Add tomato paste to the onions and stir well
- Pour vinegar to it and again stir well
- Now pour water into the pot
- Add potatoes and sweet potatoes and let it simmer
- Add caraway, marjoram and salt/pepper
- When the potatoes are done, add lentils and tomatoes
- Let it simmer again for another 20 minutes
- Don't forget to stir every here and then
If you tried this Vegan Goulash or any other recipe on the blog, please let us know how you liked it and leave a comment or rating below! We also love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. We love to meet you!
Don’t forget to check out our soup and stews for more deliciousness!