Fluffy and light pancakes
Make yourself some tasty orange chia pancakes for breakfast! The dough is prepared with freshly squeezed orange juice and the aroma of cinnamon and cardamom highlight this flavor. Serve these fluffy vegan pancakes with maple or agave syrup and some fresh fruits or sprinkle some shredded coconut on top.
Healthy breakfast recipe
These orange chia pancakes are vegan and healthy too. I used less sugar for the dough because the orange juice provides enough sweetness and as we mostly pour some sweet syrup on top of it when they are ready, I think it is good to lessen the amount of sugar in the batch. I also passed on using any oil which makes these vegan pancakes oil-free too. When you bake your pancakes in a pan you can either use a little bit of fat like coconut oil or you don’t use any fat at all which only works when you use a frying pan, where the raw pancakes won’t stick.
Chia Seeds, the perfect egg replacement
I actually don’t bake that often with chia eggs, I usually take flax eggs for my cakes and treats. But the chia eggs make the pancake dough so extremely fluffy and that makes the baked pancakes soft and light. Chia seeds might not work so well in all desserts but with this orange chia pancakes recipe, they were a total hit. It is important to prepare your chia eggs before you prepare the dough because the seeds need to soak up the water in order to reach this slimy texture (this takes about 10 minutes).
Check out these great Chocolate Apple Pancakes, they are vegan and healthy too!
Orange Chia Pancakes
- 150 g wheat flour wholegrain
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0,5 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground optional
- 1 tsp cardamom, ground optional
- 300 ml orange juice freshly squeezed
- 2 chia eggs (2 tbsp chia seeds + 5 tbsp water)
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- First, prepare the chia eggs by mixing chia seeds and water together in a bowl. Let it soak for about 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, put flour, baking powder and soda, orange zest and if you want cinnamon and cardamom into one bowl. Mix these ingredients together
- Then pour orange juice to your mix and add chia eggs and agave syrup
- Mix everything together with an egg whisk
- Heat up a frying pan and bake the pancakes: take 3 tbsp of the batter for one pancake; put a lid on your pan and bake your pancakes at medium heat at both sides until they are golden brown
If you tried these orange chia pancakes or any other recipe on the blog, please let us know how you liked it and leave a comment or rating below! We also love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. We love to meet you!
Don’t forget to check out our breakfast and pastries for more deliciousness!