Your filling and warming dish
The recipe for these lentils with bread dumplings is easy to cook, oil-free and vegan too. It is a comforting and warming dish that is perfect to enjoy in the cold season of the year, but I also love to eat it during summer. What I like to do is to cook some more dumplings so I can enjoy it as an effortless meal later again.
Grandma’s recipe – the vegan version
My grandma cooks this dish ever since I can remember. Lentils with bread dumplings is still my favorite dish of all time. I remember when I was 9 years old I would write that in all the friendship books. Of course, it was a bit difficult to understand why a young girl would eat lentils, voluntarily. But I would only eat those lentils in combination with these soft and tasty bread dumplings form my grandma. Today I love to eat the vegan version of this recipe. The lentil stew is vegan in the original recipe but the dumplings aren’t. I only had to replace the eggs with flaxeggs and the milk with a plant milk. Vegan dumplings taste as good as the common ones. Don’t worry, it’s really easy to make your own bread dumplings and in this recipe I am showing you step by step how it’s done.
Lentils, the perfect protein source
- lentils are actually edible seeds (legumes)
- they are rich in vitamin B, magnesium, zinc und potassium
- lentils consist of 25% protein (that’s why they are a popular meat substitute)
- they contain lots of iron and fiber, which is good for your digestion
- Get more facts about lentils in this article!
How to form the bread dumplings
As soon as the dough is ready and the bread cubes soaked up all of the liquid, you can start forming the dumplings. First, you need to wet your hands and then start forming even dumplings (the dumpling should fit into your palms). Then press them a little bit in your palms to make the dumpling tighter. The size of the dumplings does not matter that much, you can make bigger ones or smaller ones. Only keep in mind that the bigger the dumplings get the longer you need to cook them.
Go ahead and check out another vegan recipe from our main dishes: creamy and healthy Lasagna Soup
Lentils with Bread Dumplings
For the dumplings (about 11 pieces)
- 400 g bread cubes; vegan I used spelt bread cubes
- 4 flax eggs (4 tbsp ground flaxseeds + 10 tbsp water)
- 100 g flour, spelt or wheat whole grain
- 4 tbsp parsley, chopped fresh, dried or frozen
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- salt season to taste
- 400 ml water
For the lentil stew
- 500 g lentils cooked and drained
- 120 g pickled cucumber
- 200 g apples
- 50 g onions
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp mustard common mustard not too spicy
- 0,5 tsp caraway ground
- 200 ml water
For the dumplings
- Prepare the flax eggs: mix ground flaxseeds and water together in a bowl and wait for a few minutes until the flaxseeds are soaked
- Mix together all of the ingredients into a bowl (flax eggs included) except the water
- Now add water to your mix and let the bread cubes absorb the water completely (takes about 10 minutes)
- Form the dumplings with your hands: wet your hands and form a dumpling in your palm (it should fit the size of your palm). Press the dumplings with your palms to make them firm. You should get about 11 dumplings from the dough
- Take a pot, fill it with water and bring it to a boil. When the water is boiling, turn down the heat and let it simmer. Now place the dumplings into the water and let them cook for about 15-20 minutes. (After 15 minutes, take out one dumpling and see if it is done by slicing it into half)
For the lentil stew
- Cut the pickled cucumber, apples and onions into small pieces (you don't need to peel the apples)
- Put lentils, water, pickles, apples and onions into a saucepan and heat it
- Now add lemon juice, mustard, and caraway
- Let the lentil stew gently cook for a about 10 minutes
If you tried these Lentils with Bread Dumplings or any other recipe on the blog, please let us know how you liked it and leave a comment or rating below! We also love to connect with you on Instagram or Pinterest. We love to meet you!
Don’t forget to check out our main dishes for more deliciousness!