Make yourself some vegan and healthy Cinnamon Rolls!
Especially during this time of the year, Cinnamon rolls are a frequent guest in my kitchen. I really do enjoy making them as there is really nothing more satisfying than freshly baked cinnamon rolls.
Easy yeast dough and oil-free filling
This vegan cinnamon rolls recipe is a healthy treat! Instead of filling these rolls with cinnamon, sugar and butter, I created a healthy cinnamon cream filling without adding lots of sugar.
The recipe for the dough is quite easy and rather quick, compared to common doughs. I used dry yeast and let the dough rise once. This is the minimum for a dough like this, and the rolls turned out fluffy and amazing. As I mentioned before, the filling is not only healthy but also oil-free too. I really think that cinnamon rolls like this don’t need any fat or heavy cream on top. They are easily digested and won’t leave you heavy and tired after enjoying them.
Cinnamon rolls step by step
In this recipe, I show you in a few easy steps how to make these fabulous cinnamon rolls. It is best if you prepare the dough first, then while it is resting and rising start making the filling. It is crucial that the filling is cooled because when you spread it on top of your dough when it’s still hot the dough will be sticky and really hard to roll. A great tip is to always check that there is enough flour spread on your kitchen surface, so the dough does not stick to it.
For the dough
- 400 g wheat flour whole grain
- 9 g dry/instant yeast
- 50 g raw cane sugar
- 400 ml water warm
- 100 g wheat flour whole grain, additional (set aside)
For the filling
- 270 ml soy or oat milk
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- 40 ml soy or oat milk additional; set aside
- 3 tsp cinnamon ground
- 2 tbsp maples syrup
- 2 tbsp raw cane sugar
For the icing
- 10 tbsp powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp water warm
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
For the dough
- Take a bowl (one that you can put at a warm place) and put 400 g flour, yeast, and sugar in it. Mix very well
- Pour warm water into the bowl and mix it really good into the flour mix. You can either use a cooking spoon or your hands. A cooking spoon does the job for this first step as the dough is rather liquid
- Place a cloth on top of your bowl and put it at a warm place with about 25-36 °C (must not be warmer than 36 °C)
- Let the dough rest until it rises (this ususally takes around 25 minutes)
- When the dough rose, take it out of the bowl and place it on a kitchen surface (first spread some flour on the surface so the dough won't stick to it)
- Now add 100 g wheat flour to your dough
- Knead it really good into the dough with your hands
Prepare the filling
- Prepare the filling while the dough is resting and rising
- Pour 400 ml of milk into a casserole and bring it to a boil
- Meanwhile, mix together cornstarch, cinnamon, maple syrup, sugar and 40 ml milk into a bowl
- When the milk is boiling, slowly pour the starch mix into it while constantliy stirring with an eggbeater
- Turn off the heat as soon as you whisked the starch mix into the milk
- Stir a little longer and let the filling cool
Prepare the cinnamon rolls
- Spread some more flour on the kitchen surface, take a rolling pin and roll out the dough into a rectangle which should be about 0,5-1 cm thick
- Make sure there is enough flour on the kitchen surface, as the dough tends to stick easily on the surface when you start with the filling
- Now spread the cooled filling onto the rolled out dough
- Then carefully start rolling up the dough tightly
- Carefully cut the roll into 4-5 cm wide sections (should be 12 pieces)
- Prepare a squared baking pan and line it with baking paper. Place the cinnamon rolls in the baking pan
- Bake the rolls in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 20 minutes
- Mix together all of the ingredients
- When the cinnamon rolls are cooled spread some icing on top of them
If you tried these cinnamon rolls or any other recipe on the blog, please let us know how you liked it and leave a comment or rating below! We also love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. We love to meet you!
Don’t forget to check out our sweet treats for more deliciousness!