This Christmas Loaf is a healthy and vegan winter treat!
When I’m thinking about Christmas, things like gingerbread spice, cranberries, orange zest, and cocoa come to mind. So I thought why not combine all of these things into one crazy delicious dessert? That’s when the Christmas loaf was born.
Healthy & vegan treat
The recipe for this loaf is healthy because I really tried to use less sugar and fat. I also replaced those two ingredients with natural ones. The cranberries and orange juice add a sweet taste to the loaf and the apple sauce replaces some of the fat (vegetable oil that I use in this recipe).
Easy one-bowl dessert
You can make this dessert in only one bowl. Simply start by putting together the dry ingredients such as flour, baking powder and soda, gingerbread spice, orange zest and cocoa powder. After stirring for a while, you can add all of the wet ingredients to the dough and mix them together very well.
Don’t forget about the icing!
The icing is optional, of course. But try to imagine this sweet lemon icing dripping over your loaf… I know, I couldn’t resist either. The lemon icing adds this special touch to the cake, but it’s totally optional. You can cut back on the agave syrup in this recipe if you feel that the loaf gets too sweet for you but you don’t want to miss out on the icing. You can also add more cranberries and less sugar. Try out different versions and see what works best for you, and don’t forget to shoot me an eMail! I would love to hear about your baking experiences 🙂
If you tried this Christmas loaf or any other recipe on the blog, please let us know how you liked it and leave a comment or rating below! We also love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. We love to meet you!
If you are such a gingerbread spice fan like me, then maybe this dessert is for you – gingerbread bundt cake! A tender and delicious Christmas treat. Check out the recipe.
- 250 g wheat flour whole grain
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp gingerbread spice
- 2 tsp orange zest dried
- 15 g cocoa powder unsweetened
- 100 g apple sauce unsweetened
- 200 ml orange juice best if freshly squeezed
- 50 ml vegetable oil sunflower oil
- 80 g agave syrup
- 40 g cranberries fresh or dried
For the icing
- 50 g powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
For the loaf
- Start by putting the ingredients one after another into one bowl
- Don't forget to stir every here and then and make sure that the ingredients are very well combined
- Pour the dough into a greased cake pan (or loaf pan), or lay out the cake pan with baking paper
- Bake the loaf in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 40 minutes
For the icing
- Mix all of the ingredients together and make sure there are no lumps
- When the loaf has cooled, pour the icing over it