Your vegan and nourishing soup for all seasons!
I really love cooking, I also created so many recipes for this blog over the years which was really exciting because I tried out all of these amazing vegan treats and dishes. But all of them were pretty mainstream. Since The Berry Cat got a new website and is now showing up a bit differently I decided to leave most of them behind and start creating recipes that stand out in some way, recipes that are different. As I love thinking about new and exciting creations I realize that I have more fun creating new recipes than before. Now I’m trying to come up with new ideas and creations which cannot be found on every food blog and I think that this apple and sage potato soup is one of them. I really hope you like it and enjoy trying out something new!
Make this soup all year long
This apple and sage potato soup is a great meal for any time around the year. It is warming and nourishing in the cold months as well as light and refreshing during the warm months of the year. Potatoes are the base for this healthy soup and the apples are here to balance the taste of the sage. The only condiment I used for this vegan soup is salt, as the sage aroma is easily altered by other condiments. You can also add a bit of fresh ginger if you like it hot, though it may be that the ginger also takes away some of the sage aroma but it definitely adds a fresh taste to it too.
Vegan & Easy
This soup is healthy and super easy to prepare in just one pot. The recipe is also vegan and you can make it oil-free too by simply replacing the olive oil by water (you might need some more water than oil). Let me know what you think of this recipe!
Another great soup recipe for you to try: Broccoli-Sweet Potato Soup with roasted Chickpeas. This soup is extremely light and nourishing as well.
Something about sage:
I experimented a little bit with sage and I know that some people think the aroma of this particular herb is really strong. I totally agree with that (especially when you use too much). Every person experiences this flavor differently and this is why I recommend starting by putting only half of the sage leaves I recommend in this recipe into your soup. After you let the soup cook for a while you can taste it and then add more sage to it. It is always a better idea to start with adding less and then gradually put some more sage to your soup. This is the safest way to not destroy your soup by this powerful aroma.
I made this soup once by adding fresh sage leaves and another time I added dried leaves and I realized that the flavor was much more intense with the dried ones. I think that this is because the fresh leaves we picked from the garden were not that strong because it is winter and the dried leaves I used were harvested during summer. So this is also an important thing to keep in mind.
Some useful sage facts for you:
- Sage is loaded with antioxidants (have amazing health benefits, such as a lower risk of cancer and improved brain function and memory)
- Sage has antimicrobial effects, which can neutralize microbes that promote dental plaque.
- Sage may help reduce the intensity and frequency of menopause symptoms, such as hot flashes and irritability.
- and it’s so easy to add it to your diet: goes really well in soups (you can also sprinkle it on top) and tomato sauce, and also in any kind of roasted meals
- Read more about this herb here!
Apple and Sage Potato Soup
- 50 ml olive oil
- 5 tbsp sage, chopped dried or fresh
- 150 g onions red
- 550 g potatoes
- 650 ml water
- 220 g apples
- salt season to taste
- Peel and chop the onions into slices
- Take out a pot, heat up the olive oil and sauté the onions and sage in the oil
- Peel the potatoes and chop them into chunks
- Add the potatoes to the pot and stir
- Now pour water to your pot
- Remove the core of the apples (don't peel them) and cut the apples into rather thin slices
- Add salt and apples to your soup and let the soup cook until the potatoes are done
- Taste the soup and if necessary add some more sage to it
If you tried this Apple and Sage Potato Soup or any other recipe on the blog, please let us know how you liked it and leave a comment or rating below! We also love to connect with you on Instagram or Pinterest. We love to meet you!
Don’t forget to check out our soup and stews for more deliciousness!