Your vegan and easy Christmas treats!
What about anise cookies for Christmas? I can’t get enough of them, to be honest. I just love the taste of aniseed so much and I always think about other ways to use them in recipes but as this flavor is so special there is nothing that comes to mind. That is why these vegan cookies are so perfect for Christmas time.
A must-have for the holiday season
Anise cookies are a steady part of our Christmas treats for this time of the year. I get to eat them every year for Christmas since the day I can remember. My grandmother always makes them and I really love them. I thought why not put the recipe on the blog but this time make a vegan version of it? The vegan version is really amazing too!
Easy, healthier and you only need one bowl to make them
The one-bowl recipe is really easy to bake so you can also make the anise cookies with children. You simply need to put all the ingredients into one bowl, mix them with an egg whisk and then place little cookies with a spoon on the baking tray.
How to make this recipe vegan?
I replaced the eggs with flax eggs as this was the easiest way. The process of baking them is quite different from the original version, but also easier and cheaper too. Flaxseeds are easy to purchase and cheaper than these expensive egg replacements you can buy at the store. As there is no milk of any kind in the original recipe there is nothing else to replace here.
Other things to know
If you want to make the anise cookies sugar free, use birch sugar or xylitol instead of raw cane sugar. You don’t have to spread powdered sugar on top of your cookies, this is an optional step which is only for decoration. Also, it’s best to enjoy them on the day you bake them. Otherwise, store the cookies in an airtight box if you enjoy them on another day.
If you like to bake something different for this Christmas season you might want to check out our vegan Christmas loaf or the healthy panettone recipe. Have fun baking!
Vegan Anise Cookies
- 150 g wheat flour whole grain
- 50 g raw cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp aniseed whole or ground
- 150 ml water
- 3 flax eggs (3 tbsp flaxseed ground + 7,5 tbsp water)
- First of all prepare your flax eggs: mix ground flaxseeds and water in a separate bowl and let them soak for a few minutes
- In the meanwhile mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and aniseed in one bowl
- Now add water and mix very well
- Add the flax eggs and stir the dough really good
- Prepare a baking tray with baking paper and place small cookies on the tray (it's best to use a teaspoon for this process)
- Bake the cookies in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 10 minutes
If you tried these anise cookies or any other recipe on the blog, please let us know how you liked it and leave a comment or rating below! We also love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. We love to meet you!
Don’t forget to check out our sweet treats for more deliciousness!