This is the healthy and vegan version of Bolognese Sauce!
I always loved Bolognese sauce served with pasta or gnocchi, but ever since I am vegan this meal happened to be a rare guest on my plate. The thing is, that you can replace meat so easily and turn the original Bolognese sauce into a veggie one. Cooking vegan is so easy, I think that most people don’t know this. And with this vegan Bolognese recipe, I’m going to show you the easy side of vegan cooking!
Soy Granules, the most common meat replacement
Soy granules are perfect when you want to replace meat, especially minced meat. Nowadays you can buy soy granules at any supermarket. You just need to soak the granules in hot water and your meat replacement is ready. What I also like to do is to add a little bit of dried vegetable stock to the granules to add some flavor to them before you add it to the sauce.
Vegetables should go into any of your meals
I know, there are many recipes for bolognese sauce, where you won’t find any vegetables other than onions, but I don’t like sauces like that. Especially carrots fit perfectly into this sauce. Add some zucchini to it and there you go, your vegan and healthy meal that fills your tummy and nourishes your body. Of course, you can always omit the veggies or just add carrots to your sauce, but I really recommend adding more. In this recipe, I grated the veggies, so they are not prominent at all and blend in perfectly with the texture of the granules. Give it a try!
Now what to serve the sauce with?
This vegan Bolognese sauce goes perfectly with any kind of pasta and gnocchi, which I used in this post. You can also use it when cooking a lasagna. Check out this Veggie Lasagna recipe and replace the veggie sauce with this Bolognese sauce! When your meal is ready, spread some vegan parmesan on top of it. Find the recipe for our vegan parmesan cheese here.
If you tried this Vegan Bolognese Sauc
Don’t forget to check out our main dishes for more deliciousness!
Vegan Bolognese Sauce
- 125 g soy granules
- 50 ml water hot
- 2 tbsp vegetable stock dry
- 30 ml olive oil
- 200 g onions
- 250 g carrots
- 150 g zucchini
- 700 g tomato sauce strained
- 3 tbsp oregano ground; dried or fresh
- 2 tbsp basil ground; dried or fresh
- salt and pepper season to taste
- Mix the soy granules with vegetable stock and pour 50 ml of hot water over it
- Let it soak for about 10-15 minutes
- Chop the onion into small pieces and grate the carrots and zucchini (do not peel them)
- Sauté the onions in a heated pan with olive oil
- Add carrots and zucchini and sauté them too
- Now add the soaked soy granules,salt, pepper, oregano and basil
- Stir all very well
- Pour the tomato sauce over the veggies and stir
- Let the sauce cook until the veggies are done